Search the gallery
Search this gallery:
(0 objects, created 23/06/2013)
There are no objects in this album.
Well tonight saw the maiden batch of beer out of Brewton. A S.M.A.S.H (single malt and single hop) beer with Barret Burston Ale malt and Citra hops. Smash made me think of "Hulk Smash!!!" straight away so we have a Hulk Citra. It was going to be Hulk Cascade but I realised they were at Anna's parents place and I had some Citra in the fridge so used it instead.
Everything went very well. I had to improvise the sparging a little bit as I hadn't really worked out a proper pot rest, but Grant (zapper on AHB forum) had come over to grab 2 spare pot lids and helped me arrange things.
Read on for the pics.
Some more work on the shelves in the shed. I have been contemplating how to build maximum storage into our little garden shed.
I need some space for my grain drums, but I'd also like to get the whipper-snipper and garden tools hung up out of the way. And then there is a bunch of stuff that needs to be stored out of the way until I get to them or need them (mid-term projects)
And I'm working in a 2m * 2m garden shed. Read on on for my solution.
Some more progress on the malt pipe. I have got the seal for the bottom working well although this now requires a major re-think. As does the bottom filtering of the grains. The holes I drilled are letting through a bit too much of the smaller crushed grains.
Kath has sewn up a filter cloth for the top filter plate which is working brilliantly.
In the search for creating as much storage space in our little shed as possible I am building a peg-board with 3 areas and will build on some doors with peg-board on the inside to store things. I finished building the frame-work out of non-structural pine last night.
Read on for a picture
Well I finally got some solid time to work on my beer system. I purchased a pump about a month ago and hooked up some bits I purchased about a year ago.
So I have to finish off the malt pipe and then about 5 hours of software work and I should be able to crank out some beers.
Well I have bottled my first Belgian Tripel which I have cunningly named Van Damme Tripel Play, after Jean-Claude's famous triple replays on the critical action scenes.
It has come in at 8.5% so one to be a bit wary of, I think. I have kegged it into one of my smaller 11L kegs and bottled the rest to let mature over 6 months or so to see how it turns out.
Well this weekend I managed to look after our little fellow for the weekend while Anna had the weekend away with her friends. I also managed to knock out 23L of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and 23L of Lord Nelson American Pale Ale.
The Lord Nelson is the beer I had at Hamish' first b'day which got finished on the day so I never really got to savour it so I'm looking forward to getting it on keg and seeing how it matures over time.
Read on for some photos of the brew day yesterday.
I have tasted a few Belgian Triples and they are a beer to be respected. Normally very high in alcohol percentage and (this one will be around 8.5%) quite high in malt flavours and very little hop flavour coming through.
It requires about 8kgs of grain which is pushing my brew rig to its maximum. Will be interesting to see how my efficiency (conversion of grain to sugar) goes. Efficiency normally suffers a bit with bigger grain bills. So I may end up under-shooting the 1.079 gravity (amount of sugar in the wort). With my pot set-up I do have a high boil-off rate so I can always boil a little longer to drive off some water and increase the original gravity.
On with the Killer Triple, thanks to Nick JD on Aussie Home Brewers forum for the recipe. Will put this one in one of my half kegs and bottle the rest to age them a bit and see how it mellows over time. This will be one of those beers to have one or two on a special night. It will not be one for a session on the beers with mates.
Well my first all grain homebrew "Goomba's Irish Red Ale" (named after the guy who created the recipe) has finished fermenting and has been kegged, and I managed to sneak 4 bottles out of the fermenter as well.
Smelt really nice and the taste was really nice. Mouthfeel and taste (to a degree) change during carbonation so I have a week to wait whilst the keg is carbonating until I can get the proper taste.
Read on for some pictures.
Quite a while ago I bought some pre-milled grain packs from a member of Auusie Homebrewer last November. I've finally got my beer system capable of doing some brews and today marked my first full all grain mash beer. Everything worked out fairly nicely and I got close to most of my targets.
Read on for some photos of the brew day.